9/24/2011

End of Summer

Today marks the last day of summer. It has been a time that seemed to feel like a roller coaster for me. I have been missing my parents terribly. I turned 30 years old and it was a terrible day not having the special phone call from my mom and dad at the exact time I was born and the retelling of my beautiful adoption story and the day they got to bring me home from the hospital in their arms. Nothing could fill the void in my heart that my parents used to fill. I will miss them every minute of every day for the rest of my life. I will miss them not being here for all the birthdays, holidays, and special occasions. I will miss that my children will never have my parents as their amazing grandparents, because they always talked about how they wanted to spoil them rotten with hugs and kisses and surprises. I miss not talking to them on the phone every single day (I really talked to my parents at least once - usually more - every single day of my life) and hearing "I love you" and having a hug and kiss from them. Nothing will ever make up for their love. But I still want to find something beautiful in each day, so I am posting photos of one such moment I had in my garden at home. It was of a big, beautiful monarch butterfly on a butterfly bush that I have beside my kitchen window. This is my view while I am at the kitchen sink cleaning dishes and cooking. I grabbed my camera on this day (a few days after my milestone birthday) and this little guy just stayed on the bush. He just circled around on the same branch for over a half hour while I took a ton of pictures. I got him from every angle and from very close up. I was almost touching him with the end of my camera lens and he did not mind me at all! I couldn't believe it. Another thing I really enjoy, is that this bush also attracts big black and yellow bumble bees. I enjoy this only because our big American bulldog mix loves to watch them and try and jump up and bite at them with his mouth. It is so cute! His tail goes and his ears perk up and he just sits and watches them as his giant head tilts back and forth. It is precious to watch and gives me joy. On these days filled with sadness, usually the only thing that gets me laughing and smiling are our two dogs: one big (75 lb. Zeppie) and one little (20 lb. Oliver - the pug). They really know how to make me happy. Their kisses, or wanting belly rubs, or making their heads tilt when I talk to them, doing acrobatic tricks in the yard or on the bed, they are so silly and precious and I don't know what I would do without them. I love them both more than anything in this world. Please enjoy these photos that I think symbolize summer perfectly! Now on to fall (my personal favorite time of year)!




1 comment: